Tuesday, September 15, 2009

I Know What You Did This Weekend

It's me again, to inform you all of what's been going on with me since this past Friday!

Friday night I went to see "Inglourious Basterds" with three other people on my floor of the dorms (one of them my roommate).


(poster image from Wikipedia; they're all scary)

The movie was... Well, it was well made and well done, with good acting and everything. I guess it just wasn't up my alley; there were scalpings and a guy getting beaten to death with a baseball bat. A little more graphic than I'm used to watching. If you mind seeing that sort of thing, then I'd advise not going to the movie (although you could always close your eyes and plug your ears, which is what I did at those parts). If you do not mind, however, then by all means go and see it! It really is a good movie when you get past the violence; there is actual content and plot, it's not just action\gore.

(also from Wikipedia; I hope this guy is nicer in real life than he is in the movie)

On Sunday, I went to see the opera "Madama Butterfly" with some other people in my Honors program.

(from the theatre's website; this isn't how the actors actually look. They did a non-traditional setting, "sometime in the future.")

At first, I had a hard time getting into it, because apparently in operas they sing about EVERYTHING they're feeling. But by the second act I was more into it (perhaps because of the coffee I purchased during intermission). By the third act, I was calling Pinkerton names (in my head, of course, not out loud; by that time I had no desire to get kicked out of the theatre). Because really, the guy was a jerk, using Butterfly\Cho Cho (or Cio Cio, not sure which is right)-san like that. The end was quite sad; I even teared up for a few moments. All in all, the entire thing was really well done; the set, the acting, the costumes, the singing, everything. I thoroughly enjoyed it at the end, and would go see another opera (but only if it had "subtitles" like "Madama Butterfly"; otherwise I deeply suspect that I would be bored to tears, not being able to understand anything).

And now I'm considering which knitting patterns to take on this Fall, whilst listening to my own customized channel (titled "Wanna Chillax?") on the online radio player "Pandora." I'd advise checking it out, since it's pretty awesome. I like it better than Last.fm, because the layout's neater and easier to figure out how to work. Let's see; right now I'm listening to "Turpentine" by Brandi Carlile.

No comments: